1. The date commemorates April 17, 1853 when future Argentine president Domingo Faustino Sarmiento commissioned Michel Pouget to bring new grape varieties from France to Argentina.
2. The name “Malbec World day” comes from the Spanish “Malbec Mondo” (Malbec throughout-the- world).
3. Small doses of red wine are currently seen as good for you: their antioxidants lower incidences of cardiovascular disease.
4. Bordeaux red wines must be made from a blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Petit Verdot or Carmenère grapes.
5. The colour of red wine comes from the pigment anthyocanin which is found in grape skins.
6. “Wine is constant proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy,” (Benjamin Franklin).
7. Hatred or fear of wine is called “oenophobia”.
8. The ancient epic of Gilgamesh mentions Siduri, tavern keeper and goddess of beer and wine.
9. The first known reference to a specific wine vintage was by Roman historian Pliny the Elder who said 121 BC was “of the highest excellence”.
10. “Wine is bottled poetry,” (robert Louis Stevenson).