Nigerian born actress, Sope Aluko, is part of the cast of the second most anticipated movies of 2018, “Black Panther.”
Pulse Movies has shared seven things you should know about the actress.
1. Born in Nigeria, Sope is a multilingual, dual citizen of the Unites States of America and the United Kingdom.
2. Aluko portrays Shaman in “Black Panther,” a powerful primal leader who calls upon nature spirits for aid or guidance.
3. Her other movies include the 2011 “96 Minutes” and 2015 “Joy,” and the 2016 “Remember When.”
4. She speaks several languages, including Yoruba, French, Swahili, and Bahasa.
5. During shoot of “Black Panther,” she bonded with Chadwick Boseman, who plays the titular character in the Marvel movie.
“I call him my African Brother,” she told Popcorn Talk during an interview.
6. Sope is a wife and mom of two young boys. She lives in Los Angeles and Miami.
7. On her first day on set, the director of “Black Panther,” Ryan Coogler, made sure he got her name correct.
He also made sure the cast and crew got her name right. As an African actor used to having her name mispronounced, it made her cry and feel at home.
About “Black Panther”
“Black Panther” follows T’Challa who, after the events of “Captain America: Civil War,” returns home to the isolated, technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda to take his place as King.
However, when an old enemy reappears on the radar, T’Challa’s mettle as King and Black Panther is tested when he is drawn into a conflict that puts the entire fate of Wakanda and the world at risk.
The movie debuts February 16, 2018.
Other Nigerian actors who have featured in Hollywood superhero movies include Chiwetel Ejiofor, Funke Akindele, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje among others.